Build a SkiBike - Skiboards Upgrade

Posted: Saturday 4 December 2010 by Mark Kinnon in Labels: ,
0




At the end of last season the main upgrade I wanted to make to my skibike was to replace the old skis which were straight "Fischer Sunrise" skis from the 1980s cut down to half their original length.

They had worked well in a variety of conditions and were good for drifting, but the blunt cutoff ends won't run backwards, so no "donuts" for me.






They were secured by 4 screws salvaged from the original ski bindings and extra reinforcement underneath with double sided adhesive tape. Once I had removed self tapping screws from the skis, I mounted the adapters in my workmate and pulled hard to release the double sided tape. This took a lot more effort than I was expecting and I was also surprised how much you can flex a ski without it snapping.





The double sided tape left a sticky residue on the underside of the adapters which I cleaned off  with Pro Power Label Remover available in the UK from CPC/Farnell if you can't get this, White Spirit, Methylated Spirits or Cellulose Thinners would also be highly likely to do the trick.



The Line skiboards came pre-drilled with M6 threaded inserts for bindings and would be perfect, but for the fact that they are a different spacing to the adapters, bummer.

I put masking tape on the top of the skiboard and marked out the ski balancing point indicated by an arrow on the boards. This was to be the centre-line of the adapters. I put them in place, centered over this line and marked out where to drill pilot holes. I drilled them using a pillar drill in order to have a straight hole, you have to be very careful not to go too far or you'll drill straight through the ski base.


I mounted the new skiboards with self-tapping screws. They are now in a really awkward position to tighten, requiring a a combination of a cordless screwdriver bit, adapter and adjustable wrench. I would like to fit threaded inserts to the skiboards next and remount with stainless steel countersunk set screws.


By a stroke of good fortune for me London had been hit by freak blizzard conditions earlier in the week, so it was time to head to the end of my road and up onto Riddlesdown, Kenley for some quick off-piste testing.



Another item to consider is a preventer chain for the rear ski. Although the adapters are self-levelling; for deep snow, big bumps or when airborne and a physical link from the ski tip to the frame is a worthwhile addition. If you look closely you will find that most skibikes will have one incorporated into their design.....more to follow. MK.

0 comments: