News - Trip to Uruguay

Posted: Thursday 15 March 2012 by Mark Kinnon in
2

After almost 2 months of fevered skibiking activity, I switched seasons and stepped into summer by taking a trip to Uruguay in South America. Most people have no idea where Uruguay is, it is a small country by South American standards, sandwiched between the power house economies of Brazil and Argentina. It is the antithesis of all the places in Europe that I have visited, it is low lying,  never snows and has hot summers and mild wet winters. I won't bore you with the travelogue, they say a picture is worth a 1000 words, so here it is:

I switched seasons and stepped into summer

My inner skibiker was surprised to see a chairlift in the charming seaside town of Piriapolis, it wasn't in operation at the time, but I suddenly felt grounded to a more familiar world.

It was surreal to be sitting in a tiny Internet cafe, with an ambient temperature of 75 degrees reading about all the many exploits of the skibikers in the Northern Hemisphere, such as; Raymond Georgsson's record breaking skibike jump attempt.
Ironically since the end of the 2012 SkiBike Tour, there has been so much skibiking interest that, as I predicted, next year may indeed have to involve a tour bus and some serious chalet accommodation.

2 comments:

  1. Sara P says:

    I have never been to Uruguay but i have heard Argentina is the only place to see in South America. Why don't you post some photos of your trip to Uruguay so that we get an idea of this place.

    snow packages

  1. I just might do that Snow Packages. The place I would like to see is Bariloche in Argentina, apparently the skiing is very good there. Unfortunately it is about 1000 miles from Uruguay, so a road trip was out of the question, but at least I managed to buy some chocolates made in Bariloche.