Sold - Porsche 212 Design Arova Skibobs

Posted: Sunday 7 October 2012 by Mark Kinnon in Labels: , ,
10


Chris, mailed me a while back as he spotted this article here on the Skibiker SkiBike Blog, whilst doing a search for ski bobs.  He is based in California, USA and has a couple Porsche Design Arova Ski Bobs for sale.

It is going to break his heart to part with them, but the harsh reality is that he's getting married and needs the cash. To the right are some photos of the skibobs in question.

Should they take your fancy and you would like to have one for your skibike collection, as a period accesory for a classic Porsche sports car or as a curious "conversation piece" to put in the den, please get in touch.
You can leave a comment below, or use the new Contact Page to send me an e-mail and I will make sure that Chris gets it.

Just in case you have never heard of the Porsche 212, here is some background with thanks to www.911uk.com:

For those of us who’ve always thought that the 912 or the 914 were some of the most unheralded members of the Porsche family, say hello to the 212 Skibob.

This small and collapsible skibob (basically a bike for the slopes) was built through collaboration by the Arvoa Company and Porsche design. Made in limited quantities for enthusiasts, the Porsche sled features a rather sophisticated setup (you know, for a skibob) of front and rear shock strut suspension. It’s also able to break apart, with the ski components stored inside of the hollow fiberglass body. Maybe most incredibly, despite its slight build, the 212 is made to carry two riders.

AROVA-PORSCHE 212 SKIBOB

By PORSCHE DESIGN and Built by AROVA

Limited production from 1970 and first announced in the February, 1970 PORSCHE CHRISTOPHORUS Magazine.

PORSCHE DESIGN in collaboration with the AROVA Company ventured into producing a limited supply of this revolutionary and patented snow glider. It was unique for it's time in several respects. It has both front and rear shock strut suspension. It also can be assembled from components contained within the hollow body in about 1 minute. The padded seat is able to hold two passengers.


Specifications:

Weight - 30 Lbs.
Length, folded - 44 inches.
Height, folded – 15 inches
Width – 5.5 inches.
Suspension – aluminum with angled shock-struts.
Body – Molded polyfoam, hollow for components storage.
Assemble time, est.- 1 + minute.
Other – 2 clamp-on shoe ski's.

10 comments:

  1. Unknown says:

    hello,
    any idea of the salesprie of one of these amazing porsche 212? i would loove to have one back here in Switzerland where they have been produced. I promise that i will try it out here in the coming snow.

  1. Andreas, send me an e-mail using the "Contact" page and I will send you the information required.
    All these skibobs are located in the USA, it could be a big courier bill, unless you have a friend in an airline.

  1. Unknown says:

    I have one for sale over here in germany... hit me up with an e-mail to wmw.jason@googlemail.com if interested

  1. Good luck with the sale Jason, I have been told these are fast becoming collectors items.

  1. Unknown says:

    Greetings,

    I'm a very lucky Guy! I found one of these rare beauties! Even has two sets of Skis! One for the Driver and one for a Passenger! I'm guessing that with just a Driver, these things are like Rockets and somewhat out of control. I can't imagine the speeds obtained with a Passenger onboard, as well! Talk about a Death Wish! My "Snow Missle" is missing some parts that hold the handlebars in place. Probably missing from when the previous owner crashed and burned, would be my guess! Hahahahaha! I'm wondering, does anyone know where one can find parts for these? Thanks and HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE, this things got no brakes!

  1. Unknown says:

    Greetings,

    I'm a very lucky Guy! I found one of these rare beauties! Even has two sets of Skis! One for the Driver and one for a Passenger! I'm guessing that with just a Driver, these things are like Rockets and somewhat out of control. I can't imagine the speeds obtained with a Passenger onboard, as well! Talk about a Death Wish! My "Snow Missle" is missing some parts that hold the handlebars in place. Probably missing from when the previous owner crashed and burned, would be my guess! Hahahahaha! I'm wondering, does anyone know where one can find parts for these? Thanks and HANG ON FOR DEAR LIFE, this things got no brakes!

  1. Unknown says:

    Any idea of the value? Just pulled two brand new ones from my folks attic. My grandfather gave them to us a long time ago....looking to see what they go for to sell.

  1. Unknown says:

    Hi! Were you ever able to locate parts?

  1. Unknown says:

    Hi! Were you ever able to find parts?

  1. Unknown says:

    I'm curious if you have any more knowledge regarding these ski bobs?