SkiBike Tour 2010-11 - Grand Bornand

Posted: Thursday 30 December 2010 by Mark Kinnon in Labels: , , ,
0

After an uneventful drive from Geneva base camp, I was lucky to be able to find a parking space opposite the Tourist Information Office at the Spar supermarket.
First I checked on the lift access situation for skibikes, they knew immediately how to find the info needed and gave me a photocopy from their master file.
Luckily I discovered a public lift nearby to go from this level right down to the piste, thus avoiding a lengthy walk in ski boots carrying the skibike. I assembled my skibike and kit outside the Spar and headed to Reves d'Hiver where they hire Firem skibikes, touched base with owner, exchanged cards and pleasantries. He asked me where the brakes were on my bike and I pointed at my feet, his look of surprise was priceless!

The short Le Chatelet chairlift has been equipped with custom hanging brackets for skibikes and the loading and unloading is performed by the lift operator - luxury! This gives access to a handfull of runs, many perfect for nervous debutant skibikers. I chose Le Lac for warming up then Le Bois Joli.

Chairlift skibike bracket - ingenious
The longer La Floria chairlift gets you up to more serious territory, I went down La Combe de la Tolar, there was an alternative black run available to one side.
Finding myself at Le Maroly chairlift I was able to get close to the peak of Mont Lachat and sample Les Tetras, Piste 2000 and Les Chardons Blancs runs.

Returning via Le Lac, with lots of pushing on the flat bits up, I used the Le Chatelet chairlift again but turned right down the Les Elegantines run to access the Les Gettiers chairlift. It was very crowded with a long wait so I made the single run down the L'abondance piste which is floodlit for night skiing (and skibiking).

Avoiding the crowd, I ended the day doing a few more runs down La combe de la Tolar piste and returning via Le Lac in to town.

Le Grand Bornand has a lot to offer the skibiker, despite the limited number of lifts available.
As one of the first resorts to actively promote and support skibiking; with rental options, adapted lifts and a hungry new manufacturer looking to promote their skibikes.
All they need now is a Skibike Festival or Competition and it will truly be The Durango Mountain Resort of Europe.

Sunset from Mont Lachat at Grand Bornand

0 comments: