Arrival in Tignes

Posted: Monday 4 April 2011 by Mark Kinnon in Labels: ,
0

After the fun but exerting time I had Grächen, I badly needed a day off in Geneva to recover my strength and ready myself for part deux of this latest Alpine adventure. The weather in Geneva had been quite wet overnight and it lingered through till the morning. Driving across the Alps it closed in again and on arrival in Tignes the conditions were so reminiscent of my trip to Andorra a year ago.

A last minute Internet search had located the Hotel le Dome at Tignes les Bois a tiny hamlet next to the top of  the dam and overlooking both Tignes 1800 and Tignes les Brevieres.

Hotel le Dome, Tignes les Boisses - Simple and good value
The Hotel le Dome was built in 1953 for those working on the Tignes Dam (barrage de Tignes) which feeds a hydro-electric generating station. Some of the facilities are a little basic, but everything works, is clean and presentable; just don't arrive expecting big fluffy towels or aromatherapy sessions. It rates as excellent value for money and should prove to be a great base for exploration.

I was last in this area in the late 90s and I forgot that it has quite a wild, natural and brutal feel about it - I like it.

Nature in the raw at Tignes les Boisses

0 comments: