SkiBike Tour 2009-10 - Time To Go Home

Posted: Tuesday 13 April 2010 by Mark Kinnon in Labels: , , ,
0

I left at 9 in the morning, which gave me up to 15 hours to make the boat at Calais. The weather was bright and clear once again, so I was expecting a clean run.

Pas de la Casa one of the highest mountain passes in Europe
The French customs officials were quite taken aback by the absence of duty free booze and fags (cigarettes for our American cousins) in the car, but nodded knowingly when I explained it was because I am a veloskier.

Then it was time to settle into the routine of burning up the miles of endless French roads, hitting the traffic of Paris around 6pm and making it to the coast around 10pm. I was able to get an earlier sailing, found a comfy chair and passed the short voyage in slumber. Once off the boat I was home in an hour.

Settling into my own bed and listening to the South London soundtrack of police sirens, it was hard to imagine that I had started the day in the peace and tranquillity of Andorra. I think I am going to miss it a lot.....I'll have to go back again.

0 comments: