SkiBike Tour 2013-14 - Geneva Base Camp

Posted: Friday 7 February 2014 by Mark Kinnon in Labels: , , ,
0

I awoke to the sound of rain beating merciliessly against the shutters, this was pretty much what had been forecast and I could only imagine the conditions up in the mountains to be severe. I decided to "call in sick" and treat myself to a duvet day, catch up on lost sleep, wash my socks and do all the usual organisation and management chores that get forgotten in the daily rush to and from the slopes.
The last five days have involved some pretty relentless driving and riding in some brutal conditions. To my own surprise I am not as bruised (yet) as in previous years.

But I have taken a number of hard face plants, one whilst not wearing my helmet, oh the folly of it. This has left me with pins and needles in my finger tips, I don't know the medical term, but I have experienced it before and it is no doubt a bit of trauma to the nerves as they pass through the wrists. It feels just like you are touching stinging nettles the whole time, I hope you appreciate the pain I go through to write this blog :-)

A quiet day in at the office

It also makes me appreciate all the supports I now wear before riding, I suspect without them, this trip may have already ended prematurely. Yesterday I saw a body being loaded into a "private ambulance", the sort that go straight to the morgue and then the undertakers, time of death 16:45, cause accidental, case closed...makes you think.

On a happier note, the most life threatening decision I shall make today is whether to have the dry crisp Bourgogne Aligote or the cheekily fruity Alsace Pinot Gris with my dinner. A votre sante, salut!

0 comments: