Mountain Bike - Brighton Beach Cruise

Posted: Saturday 27 August 2011 by Mark Kinnon in Labels:
0

Is retro the way forward?...
I have a passion for reworking old technologies and incorporating modern tech to create curious new hybrid forms. It has given me great great pleasure in recent years, to build and restore bikes and my search for parts and information lead me to the fantastic "RetroBike" forum.
I wanted to attend a local event and chose the annual Beach Cruise, which apparently is growing with each year. I loaded my bike onto a car rack sourced through the forum and drove down to the beach front at Hove ready for the 11am start time.
We had to wait a while for "Whatleymeister" who had opted to ride the 48 miles from his home in Guildford, top marks you nutter!
Setting off, we enjoyed a pleasant cruise along the seafront to Brighton and following the undercliff path to Rottingdean via Brighton Marina. The forecasted showers missed us, the sun shone for the most part and there was a pleasant tail wind. The return journey involved a jaunty climb followed by a natty cliff top route into a brisk headwind which appeared to increase in force exponentially the closer I got to the start point!

There was an amazing selection of boutique bikes in the pack, all in mint condition, Pace, Klein, Kona, Slingshot even!
My own steed, a Staco 3 speed town bike, was by far the most humble but as was pointed out to me definately the most retro.

RetroBike - Retro the way forward


0 comments: